Thursday 18 April 2013

Mango & Poblano Salsa

Sometimes mid-week, I need a bit of a pick-me-up to get me through until Friday... glorious Friday! This week that jolt of life, came in the form of some needed girl time with lady friends and a flavorful Wednesday dinner.

Alex and I met up with a friend for beers and dessert. Yes, that's right beers and dessert! Actually we had Fruli and delightful raspberry chocolate cheesecake and decadent banana peanut-butter chocolate cake at Pub Italia in Little Italy! But, before we indulged our sweet tooth and our guilty pleasure of gossiping, we decided to have dinner together. Alex, made some great spicy refried black beans, which we wrapped up in warm tortillas with some fresh, julienned raw vegetables (cucumber, red peppers, carrots and avocado). To accompany the beans I agreed to make a salsa. I wanted something with a kick, so I decided to make a mango salsa. I found some nice mangoes at the Byward Fruit Market; they were super sweet and perfectly ripe. I also picked up a poblano pepper for some spice! This turned out to be an excellent salsa and would be equally great with fish or chicken, or even just scooped up with some warm tortilla chips!

Mango & Poblano Salsa 

 















1 ripe mango, diced
1 ripe tomato, diced
1/2 medium sized poblano pepper, minced
3  green onions, sliced thinly
Juice and zest of one lime
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to combine well.



That's it! Super easy recipe!

Enjoy!


-Tina (Turnip)

No comments:

Post a Comment