Friday 24 May 2013

Bap by Raon Kitchen Food Cart Review & Prepping for Ottawa Foodie Challenge 2013

If you follow our Twitter account or have us on Facebook, you know that in less than 24 hours, Alex & I will be participating in the Ottawa Foodie Challenge! The challenge is essentially a foodie scavenger hunt across our great city of Ottawa in support of the Ottawa Food Bank and to create awareness for community hunger. There will be 100 clues that we need to unravel and my guess is that it will not be an was task, even if we already have a good knowledge of the foodie scene in Ottawa. Alex has been doing a great job at getting us prepped for the challenge this whole week, but due to a busy work week for me, I have been admittedly slacking. Being it is the eve of the challenge, I figured I should spend a bit of time on my lunch doing some studying. But, what is studying without something delicious to accompany it!? I decided to venture out for lunch. Since I haven't had the chance to try any food carts or trucks, and because it was a dreary day, I scouted for one close by the office. I had heard good things about Raon Kitchen, so I walked up to Bank & Slater and decided to try it for myself.



The Raon Kitchen cart serves Korean bibimbap (or bap as they like to short form it). Luckily, since it was raining there was no line! Success!



Huddled behind the cart were three wonderfully pleasant people serving up hot steamy bowls of rice in this dreary weather. I decided to order the vegetarian bap, with egg and tofu. I topped my dish off with Korean hot sauce, sesame seeds and a bit of sesame oil. Knowing that I needed to get cracking on OFC prep, I had them pack my bibimbap up in a bag and off I went back to the office!



After taking a couple photos for the blog I dove ravenously into my bowl. My first thought: Mmm! The tofu was well-marinated and very flavourful. I loved the thin, noodle-like slices of egg too.


Overall, this dish was pleasant and totally hit the spot. If you are out in the area or work downtown, I would highly recommend popping by this food cart! You can find them on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/RaonKitchen!

Now, onto studying...

-Tina (Turnip)


See our review on Urbanspoon Bap By Raon Kitchen on Urbanspoon


P.S. Cheer Alex and I on throughout the day tomorrow via Twitter! Turnip & Bean hope to bring home the grand prize! Stay tuned on a full blog post on how the whole challenge unfolds!



No comments:

Post a Comment