Tuesday 9 April 2013

Indian Spiced Scrambled Egg Naan Wrap

You know those days when you get the biggest craving for a particular type of food? Today was most definitely one of those days. The ingredients for a mushroom and pea curry have been biding their time in my refrigerator and cupboards for the past week or so, just waiting for me to muster up the effort to combine them (am I the only lazy cook around here?). I was really craving something warm and spicy while at work today and I knew my kitchen was clean and ready to go, so I thought, sure, it would be the perfect night to make some curry!

I like to think I keep a fairly decent mental map of my kitchen in my head and I was absolutely sure that I had some raw cashews in the cupboard. I didn't even think to pick up any extra at the grocery store on the way home. To my dismay, as I began to assemble my ingredients I noted a very clear lack of cashews. Now, sometimes I'll just fly by the seat of my pants and alter the recipe to work with the ingredients that I have on hand, but tonight was an exception. I decided that if there were no cashews, there would be no curry! Perhaps this is just my inner lazy cook looking for an excuse...

I scrambled (hah!) to think of a something else I could make using the multitude of Indian spices I now had on my counter. I had a few eggs in the fridge that were getting close to the expiry date and in dire need of being used up. This lead me to the idea of an Indian spiced egg dish of sorts. Originally I had been hoping to concoct some sort of omelette but this ended up being scrambled eggs (and that's the beauty of cooking eggs - even if you mess up it still turns out delicious!).

This dish turned out pretty tasty but I would definitely change a few things when I make it again in the future. I believe I added a little too much spice (it ended up slightly bitter), and I would also add some cheese in the form of paneer. This recipe is a good starting point for a multitude of add-ons.

I ended up eating the scrambled eggs curled up in a naan taco of sorts (but naan wrap sounds a little better than naan taco to me... but, come to think of it taco naan would be quite delicious). Plenty of grocery stores carry fresh or frozen naan that's easy to heat up in the oven.

Indian Spiced Scrambled Egg Naan Wrap




Ingredients

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1/2 green chile pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 small onion, diced
1/2 tsp ginger root, grated
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp fenugreek powder
1 tsp ground cumin
3 eggs
1 slice naan bread, warmed

Directions

Remember to preheat your oven for the naan bread (I set my oven for 375 and placed the bread in right away before I began to cook. As the oven preheated it warmed the bread and it was ready by the time I was finished!).

Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium and fry the onion, green chile, garlic and ginger until the onion is translucent

Add the turmeric and cook for approximately 1 minute

Add the fenugreek and cumin (I suggest reducing each to 1/2 tsp at first as I found a full tsp of each to be a little too strong) and continue to cook for a few minutes

Beat the eggs lightly and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the eggs to the frying pan and continually stir and push the cooked edges to the centre until cooked (take them off the heat while they are still slightly runny/shiny - you don't want them to overcook!).

Place the cooked egg mixture on top of your naan bread (or tortilla, if you prefer), wrap up, and enjoy! I found a nice crisp and slightly sweet apple paired with this meal wonderfully.

Note: If you want some extra veggies in your scrambled eggs I highly suggest mushrooms, spinach, shredded carrot or tomatoes!

- Alex (Bean)

No comments:

Post a Comment