Monday 25 February 2013

Curried Sweet Pepper Soup

Sometimes after a long day at work the last thing I want to do is cook. Today was no exception - I wanted something that was healthy, fairly quick and simple, and I only wanted to use ingredients that I already had in my apartment.

I was out of town on a business trip last week and I had left behind some mini sweet peppers in my fridge. They were starting to look a little wrinkly upon my return and I figured they would work best in a soup. This soup turned out quite tasty! It has a slight curry flavour and a bit of creaminess from the greek yogurt I used. It definitely hit the spot after a long day at work and I have plenty left over to bring for lunch tomorrow. If you would like to make this soup a little more substantial, I feel as though some rice or shredded chicken would make a nice addition.


Curried Sweet Pepper Soup

1 tbsp salted butter
1/2 large spanish onion, diced
4 cups various sweet peppers, chopped (I used red, orange, and yellow mini peppers)
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp curry powder
approx. 2 cups canned diced tomatoes (or one 14.5 oz. can)
1 cup plain greek yogurt


In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt 1 tbsp of butter on medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until translucent.

Add the chopped peppers, cover the pot and cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add more butter if your peppers or onion start to burn.

Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, paprika, and curry powder and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. I kept the lid on the pot for this portion as well.

Use an immersion blender to blend the soup. Add the plain greek yogurt (you can blend this in as well, or just put a dollop on top).

Serve and Enjoy!

- Alex (Bean)

No comments:

Post a Comment